Thanks to all who came to last week’s Mappy Hour. We had a great time hearing from Bill of NALU Standup Paddle and Surf and noshing on drinks and food from Noble Beast Brewing‘s awesome kitchen. Here are a few highlights to grow your love of surfing:
- The Gist: There are two main types of surfing — traditional prone and SUP Surfing, which has a gentler learning curve. Keep a look out for windy conditions kicking up waves from the North. And, you’re going to need a wetsuit. Bill recommends Wetsuit Warehouse for the largest variety of sizes and styles.
- Read: Great Lakes Surfers Journal
- Watch: Out of Place, a documentary about surfing in Cleveland directed by Scott Ditzenberger and Darrin McDonald. We heard that you can get a copy from your local library via OhioLink, but you’re going to have to wait until Jill is done watching it.
- Keep in Touch: Lake Surfistas, a group of women who surf on the Great Lakes and organize meetups.
We’re also stoked for our next event. Our speaker, Dana Harrington, just published the first guidebook to bouldering in Allegheny National Forest. Didn’t know there was bouldering there? You won’t find much about it on Mountain Project. Located just a 2.5 hour drive from Cleveland, Rimrock Overlook has over 200 established problems and a variety of open projects for those with a pioneering spirit.
Dana will be chatting about the process of developing the ANF area. The guidebook, which you can learn more about on Time to Climb, will be available for purchase.
- Date: Saturday, November 17, 2018 – 12:00pm to 2:00pm
- Location: Climb Cleveland, 2190 Professor St, Cleveland, OH 44113
- Register: https://mappyhour.org/events/