Full datetime event:Saturday, September 23, 2023From 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
The Green Lake Luminata is a free annual "Parade of Lights" style event held at Green Lake in Seattle to celebrate the autumnal equinox.
Due to popular demand, this year we are gathering a group to walk in the parade on foot, AND paddle alongside it in the water.
Parade route is short but there's a long line of participants, so it takes a couple hours for the entire parade to finish. Dress warm!
Jordan will host a small potluck dinner at his SE Green Lake home before the parade, and host a small afterparty afterwards. Think bonfire, smores, apple cider, outdoor movie, hot tub.
BYO DIY light-up costumes and decorations! There are also free community lantern-building workshops leading up to this event.
More information about the Luminata at https://fremontartscouncil.org/luminata
5pm-7pm - casual potluck dinner at Jordan's house
5:30pm - lantern shop opens
6:30pm-7pm - kayakers depart to launch and parade walkers walk to Green Lake boathouse
7:30pm - parade starts, usually goes 2-3 hours
9pm-midnight - afterparty at Jordan's house
What to bring:
for potluck - a dish or drink to share
for parade - light-up costume strongly encouraged! and BYO kayak if you plan to paddle
for afterparty - outdoor seating like camp chair or blanket + sleeping bag for movie, swimsuit for hot tub, favorite smores toppings
Parade route details:
- parade starts at 7:30pm from the NE green lake coffee shop + boat rental building
- parade ends at the NW theater / swimming area around 9:30pm
- community participants typically hang out in the area after to show off their floats and lights displays. live music too
NE green lake parking situation will be nuts so I recommend parking and launching in the SW corner by the aqua theater.
It takes 20 mins to paddle over so aim for a 7pm launch to make the 7:30 parade.
When the parade ends, there is an informal gathering at the end of the parade route with floats and live music, so kayakers could either:
- come to shore and hang out for a bit at the west green lake beach, then paddle back to SW corner where you launched from to head out
- Paddle back to SW corner when parade ends, pack up kayaks, then walk to west green lake beach for informal gathering